The basic environmental philosophy of the Canon Electronic Business Machines (H.K.) Company Limited is based on the Canon Incorporation and is determined by the Managing Director as:
- To protect value of natural environment
- Be a good and law-abiding member of society
Seek to harmonize environmental and economic interests in all business activities, products and services (The EQCD concept); offer products with lower environmental burden through innovative improvement in resource efficiency, and eliminate anti-social activities that threaten the health and safety of mankind and the environment. The environmental control actions to fulfill the environmental policy include:
- Optimize the organization for promoting the Canon Group’s global environmental efforts, and promote environmental assurance activities for the Group as a whole.
- Assess the environmental impact of entire product lifecycles and explore ways to minimize environmental burden.
- Promote the research and development of technologies and materials essential for environmental assurance and share the achievements with society.
- Comply with all applicable laws in each country or region and other requirements the Canon Group agrees upon with stakeholders, and promote energy and resource conservation and elimination of hazardous substances in all corporate activities.
- In procuring and purchasing necessary resources, give priority to materials, parts and products with lower environmental burden.
- Establish an Environmental Management System (EMS) to prevent environmental pollution and damage, and steadily reduce environmental burden.
- Actively disclose to all stakeholders information on environmental burden and keep them updated on the progress of environmental measures.
- Raise the environmental awareness of employees and educate them to take the initiative in environmental protection.
- Maintain close relationships with governments, communities, and other interested parties, and actively support and participate in environmental protection activities.